Friday 3 April 2020

vSphere 7 ESXi Upgrade

vSphere 7 ESXi Upgrade


After upgrading vCenter, I now had to upgrade my single ESXi Lab host. I mounted the ISO using the BMC out of band utility and booted off the ISO. I ran into an issue with an NSX VIB however and it blocked the upgrade:

Alright, rebooted into ESXi 6.7 and put the host into maintenance mode to remove the offending VIB as follows:

esxcli software vib list

Now spot your offending VIB in the list - mine has the word nsx in it. Then remove it.

esxcli software vib remove -n esx-nsxv

Removal Result
   Message: Operation finished successfully.
   Reboot Required: false
   VIBs Installed:
   VIBs Removed: VMware_bootbank_esx-nsxv_6.7.0-0.0.8590012
   VIBs Skipped:

Ok, back to the upgrade.......

Crap, what's this about?!!! I'd better have all my network cards and Storage Devices after this install?!! 

Ok, so the install went ok, I have all my network cards BUT my LSI RAID Controller with all my SSD storage is not recognized!! Darn! Collaterol Damage! Where's that HCL?! 

So I've a Supermicro X10DRi-T-O and LSI MegaRaid 9271-8i. Neither storage chipset is recognized. Hopefully someone will release a hack but I might have to downgrade here if google doesn't turn up something......darn it!!! Best of luck with your upgrade, check the HCL's!!