Friday 3 April 2020

vCenter 7 Lab Upgrade

vCenter 7 Lab Upgrade


So I downloaded the binaries for vSphere 7 to upgrade my lab and see what's different. The release notes are scary this time to say the least!! The upgrade for vCenter is my first task and here is my notes from that experience:
  1. Attempt failed - Duplicate temporary IP Address, my bad! 
  2. Attempt failed - Timeout, too much time had expired?! This was when I clicked into the wizard and the precheck came back as failed! Ok, was doing something else, next time I'll babysit!
  3. Just got a blanket error this time. So am going to reboot vCenter and apply 1 March 2020 patch just in case and start all over again! 
  4. Time, Time, Time - it's all about the Time - get your NTP / VCSA and AD DC time all sync'd up to fix this problem!! 




This is from the upgrade-requirements.log:
2020-04-03T10:37:11.526Z ERROR __main__ ERROR: Fatal error during upgrade REQUIREMENTS. For more details take a look at: /var/log/vmware/upgrade/requirements-upgrade-runner.log
The release notes reference:
/var/log/vmware/upgrade/UpgradeRunner.log

I reboot the 6.7 vCenter appliance as part of the patch and found the time was out - fixed that using an NTP server and hoped this would help! It was out of sync by 2 hours despite saying HOST which was ok! 

Getting closer, this time I got:
Now, I found my Domain Controller out of Sync! Got all that fixed and made sure the vCenter 6.7 appliance could resolve the NTP IP of the DC ok and without errors and all the time looked ok. Just left with a few warnings:


The basic migration was 1.85 GB and 33 minutes, leaving Events and Historical Data out of it. Good time for a break!! 

Now I can finally log in!!!

This is the new Home Page:
Now for the big question - is there STILL a Flex client:
NOOOOOOO!!!!! Haha!! All gone bye-byes!!! 

Now, all I need is to figure out how to upgrade my single host lab without update manager!!