Wednesday 6 August 2014

News and Musings

Well, I've heard HP CloudSystem 8.1 has been released. Not played with it yet but plan to once time permits and try my hand at a fresh install although there is an upgrade path to take also....I did get a chance to do some labs with an install done by the experts and think there's as much learning to this product as any I've encountered. Trying to understand the networking alone is interesting plus I've many questions about how to deliver one in Production that will need to be addressed if I get the chance to. At least they permit VMFS Glance repositories now!
 
 
Next up - I took my RHCSA exam last week, took me this long to calm down before I post. Got the grand old score of 0. Must say I've a few tips without breaching NDA that might assist those of you intending to take the Exam:
 
  • The Exam is based on RHEL 7, don't practice on anything else, especially RHEL 6.5!
  • I've asked RedHat to clarify what THEY mean by "Shipping Documentation" from the blueprint as I've sat VMware's VCAP5-DCA and they have a different view. I'll let you know when they respond how they describe it.
  • I'm not a Linux guru, I don't use the console in my day to day job but I'm trying to get a base qualification that some may laugh at because it's so simple. That said I need all the help I can get. I plan to rework my notes once more but in a manner that makes it easier to pick out key commands and all the pointers (man pages and any in the box stuff I can retrieve) to help me around next time. I can get to grips with basic stuff but configuring LUKS encrypted volumes from memory, fair play to you if you can do that off the top of your head, I can't!
The pass rate is 210 out of 300 so I hope I can give a better account of myself next time (209 or so!). Why did I get zero you may ask....NDA says I can't tell. I can understand why but I've been doing Cisco, Microsoft, Citrix and VMware exams for 15+ years and was slightly shocked to say the least. However, if you know what's on the blue print you'll be fine. I'm just starting out on this Linux track so I "crashed and burned" so to speak.
 
Anyway, it's just an exam. I plan to have another crack in October and leave it at that. There's too much else to do, Blade systems, HP Cloud, Openstack etc to get worried about it. Best of luck if you take it in the meantime.