Saturday 14 September 2013

SRM Lab - No Array Pair in Protection Group

Well, this was a weird one, I spent a day labbing an SRM configuration and after fighting my way through certificates and domain controller issues I ended up not being able to create a protection group. This taken from the SRM Logs:

2013-09-06T13:30:09.385+01:00 [05420 warning 'DatastoreGroupManager' opID=33174abf] No read-write devices found for array pair 'array-pair-2038'
2013-09-06T13:30:09.385+01:00 [05420 verbose 'DatastoreGroupManager' opID=33174abf] Recomputed datastore groups for array pair 'array-pair-2038': 0 replicated datastores, 0 replicated RDMs, 0 free devices, 0 datastore groups

It's just not detecting anything it can work with even though everything looks fine and is replicating at the VSA end...!

I got talking to a great guy in HP Support about it and he came back and said to check the IQN for upper case characters. In the HP StoreVirtual Centralized Management Console I had added the VSA's using upper case characters and this was reflected in the IQN seen in VMware.

I unexported the volumes, deleted the servers in the HP console and recreated them, refreshed the ESX iSCSI config and rebooted the nested ESXi hosts for good measure. The screen shots below show what the configuration I got working looks like and how it SHOULD have been configured!

 
There should be no upper case in the Name shown below:
 
 
Then after rescanning the SRA and Devices I was able to create my first protection group (My issue was I was shown NO array pairs to choose from):


So that's one I'll remember! Thanks to HP Support for spotting my mistake!

Mike